Book Review: 69 Million Things I Hate About You by Kira Archer



"You are the most stubborn, aggravating, pain in the ass I know. And I am totally, unconditionally, head over heels in love with you."
Blurb: 
After personal assistant Kiersten Abbott wins sixty-nine million dollars in the lotto, she suddenly has more than enough money to quit her impossibly demanding job. But where’s the fun in that? She decides to stay and exact a little revenge on her insufferable ass of a boss.

Billionaire Cole Harrington quickly figures out something’s afoot with his usually agreeable personal assistant. When he finds out about the office pool betting on how long it’ll take him to fire her, he decides to spice things up and see how far he can push her until she quits.

The game is on, with everyone waiting to see who will crack first. But the bet sparks a new dynamic between them, and soon they realize they just might have crossed that fine line between hate and love.


WARNING: MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS


REVIEW:

5/5 ⭐'s. I cannot recommend this book enough. To be completely honest, I have read this book a number of times but I wanted to be specific in my review so I re-read the book today. It's better than I remember it being and it only took about 2 hours for me to finish. 

Plot

Ok, I absolutely adore the plot to this story. 
The whole idea of winning the lottery then trying 
to get fired is one that I think is very unique. This story ticked so many boxes for me. It built intrigue regarding what each of the characters were going to do next and each time would make me laugh out loud. I also really liked the way the termination pool worked into the story, especially the way that it was tied into the happy ending. 

Supporting Characters

I think it is safe to say that I loved all of the characters in this story. There was not one character that I found myself disliking. Along with the two main characters, there were a number of supporting characters who made the story for me. First is Cole's mother, Harriet Harrington (I actually love that this is the name she was given). She was first introduced as a more serious character but was rapidly shown to be one of the funniest additions to the story. This quote from the book perfectly sums her up as a character, "his mother had been arrested. In a strip club. For manhandling the performers, assaulting the officers, resisting arrest, and…defiling a police vehicle?". Another supporting character I really loved was Brooks Larson, Cole's friend and business partner. I really liked how he was watching the whole time to see the interactions between Cole and Kiersten and I feel like he had a role in getting them together in the first place. There was also the roles of Kiersten's best friends, Cassie and Izzy. Although they also did not have huge roles in the story, I really loved their relationship with Kiersten. 

Main Characters

Kiersten Abbott
Kiersten is the main female protagonist in this story. There are so many qualities about this character that I like. She is daring, hard working and very funny. One of my favourite quotes from her is, “That’s some next-level, Christian Grey stalker shit right there.”

Cole Harrington
Cole is the male protagonist and the love interest of Kiersten. At the very beginning of the book he is made out to be the typical arrogant, rich, playboy boss who cares about no one but himself. Of course he is also portrayed to be ridiculously hot (that treadmill scene, hello 👅)

The chemistry and overall relationship between Kiersten and Cole was just perfect! I feel as though the author did an amazing job of building the suspense of when they would get together (because let's face it, with that amount of tension something was going to happen). I liked the way that the author made the climax of the story something that would not destroy their relationship and in the end would be the event that brought them officially together. I had become so invested in them as a couple that it would have been devastating for them to not stay together. All of my romantic dreams came true with the way that the termination pool was tied in with the ending of the story. It was just so CUTE! Plus their romance filled so many of my favourite tropes including enemies to lovers, office romance and billionaire boss romance. 

Overall Thoughts 

Overall there wasn't anything about this book that I didn't like, I would rank it in my top 10 romance books of all time. 


Favourite Quote

There were so many quotes in this book that I really loved, whether it be because they were funny or because they were sweet. For my favourite quote from this book I have gone with a romantic one. It was just so gorgeous that I found I could not go past it. 
"She turned and noticed him standing there, and the smile she gave him nearly knocked him to his knees. If he could see that smile every morning for the rest of his life, he’d live and die a happy man."

If any of you guys have read this book, please leave me your thoughts. 

Happy Reading,
Jess xx  

Books Mentioned 
69 Million Things I Hate About You by Kira Archer 


Comments