Blast From The Past - YA Books


This title gives me serious Alicia Silverstone and Brendan Fraser throwbacks. Now, I don't know about you guys but I have a tonne of books that I keep at my parents house (mainly because they will not fit in my shelves at my apartment). I have just recently travelled back to my hometown to visit my parents and I decided to go through my books while I was there! It was a major throwback looking at all the books that I had there, some of which I haven't read since primary school. I thought I would share with you guys some of the old treasures that I found. Maybe you will have read them too! 

I'll start with a series of books that are SUPER 
nostalgic for me. These are The 39 Clues books.
 In my family we had a tradition that when we 
started to read 'proper' books mum and dad would
 let us choose one series and they would buy us 
the whole thing (so shout out to mum and dad for 
encouraging reading). For me, this series was The
39 Clues. To say I was obsessed with these books
would be an understatement. I read them so fast
and I would re-read them over and over again. 
These books also came with collectors cards so 
that you could play a game online. I never really 
got into the online thing but you bet I still kept 
all of the cards in a Tupperware lunchbox and 
even bought all of the card expansion packs. 
The 39 Clues ended up being one of those series that does spin-off series. For me, I only ever read the original series and the first spin-off called Cahills vs Vespers. I just googled these books and it looks like they ended up with 5 spin-off series. Despite this, I am happy with where I decided to finish the series. I absolutely love the whole plot of these books plus they only ever came in hardcover which I think is what has allowed me to keep them in such good condition (I mean they look pretty amazing considering I have had them for over 10 years now). 

I also found in my shelves the always amazing Mortal Instruments series. Now this is a series that I honestly associate some good memories with. Mainly because they were my coping mechanism during a really hard time. I had started to read this series after the movie came out. I absolutely adored these books but fairly soon after my little brother got sick so I had to stay at my grandparents house while mum and dad were with him at the hospital. I stayed with mama and pop for about 2 weeks before I was able to go stay with mum and dad at the hospital. During this 2 weeks however, I read through the second and third books very fast. After I did this, mum called and said if mama and pop took us back over to our house, she had already bought me all of the rest of the series and had been hiding them in her cupboard. This was such a sweet thing for her to do and it allowed me to finish off the series instead of thinking about what was happening away from home. Now, on a bit of a side note, was the Mortal Instruments movie better or the Shadowhunters TV show?? As much as I was obsessed with the movie when it came out, I am now a big fan of the TV show. I will admit, when it first started it was pretty terrible but I feel like it improved a lot and I started to really enjoy it. Now another question, Clary and Jace from the movie or the TV show?? I think that Clary from the TV show is better but I liked Jace in the movie (not gonna lie I had a weird obsession with Jamie Campbell Bower after this movie). 




In my shelves I also had the Vampire Academy series. This is another one that I decided to read after seeing the movie (honestly I don't know how I didn't know about any of these before the movies). This is another series I remember loving! Again though this movie made me develop a weird obsession with Dominic Sherwood (sorry, not sorry). I can say with complete certainty, despite not having read these books for 7 years now, the books are SO MUCH BETTER than the movie. I feel like the movie had the potential to be really amazing but just ended up being OK. Although, I absolutely adored the relationship between Dimitri and Rose in the movie (plus the guy who played Dimitri was just unbelievably hot, in the words of Rose sweet sassy molassy). 

I also found some books that I remember not enjoying very much, although I still can't part with them because it took me so long to get these series with the same cover design 😅. These were the Divergent series and the Hunger Games Series. Now, as for the Hunger Games I am pretty sure I overall wasn't happy with the series but I think I might give it another go because I can't fully remember. As for Divergent, this series was so utterly heartbreaking that I don't think I will ever read it again. I also am pretty sure I wasn't a huge fan of the books to begin with, even less so after that ending. 

Some other books I found that I remember LOVING were the Evernight series by Claudia Gray, The Waterfire Saga by Jennifer Donnelly and the Elementals series by Brigid Kemmerer. These were some of my favourite books that I used to read and I am pretty sure I had lent these out to over half my friend group by the time I graduated school. 

So these are some of my favourite Blast From the Past books on my bookshelf, what about you guys? Let me know in the comments 👀👇

Happy Reading, 
Jess xx

Books Mentioned
The 39 Clues by Assorted Authors 
The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare 
Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead 
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins 
Divergent by Veronica Roth 
Evernight by Claudia Gray 
Waterfire Saga by Jennifer Donnelly 
The Elementals by Brigid Kemmerer

Comments