Book Review: The Hating Game by Sally Thorne

Favorite Quotes from The Hating Game | In Love & Words

'I have a theory. Hating someone feels disturbingly similar to being in love with them. I've had a lot of time to compare love and hate, and these are my observations. Love and hate are visceral'

Blurb: 

Nemesis (n.) 1) An opponent or rival whom a person cannot best or overcome.
2) A person’s undoing
3) Joshua Templeman 

Lucy Hutton has always been certain that the nice girl can get the corner office. She’s charming and accommodating and prides herself on being loved by everyone at Bexley & Gamin. Everyone except for 
coldly efficient, impeccably attired, physically intimidating Joshua Templeman. And the feeling is mutual.

Trapped in a shared office together 40 (OK, 50 or 60) hours a week, they’ve become entrenched in an addictive, ridiculous never-ending game of one-upmanship. There’s the Staring Game. The Mirror Game. The HR Game. Lucy can’t let Joshua beat her at anything—especially when a huge new promotion goes up for the taking.

If Lucy wins this game, she’ll be Joshua’s boss. If she loses, she’ll resign. So why is she suddenly having steamy dreams about Joshua, and dressing for work like she’s got a hot date? After a perfectly innocent elevator ride ends with an earth-shattering kiss, Lucy starts to wonder whether she’s got Joshua Templeman all wrong.

Maybe Lucy Hutton doesn’t hate Joshua Templeman. And maybe, he doesn’t hate her either. Or maybe this is just another game. 


Review:

The Hating Game is quite possibly one of my favourite books of all time! I continually go back to re-read it. I even like to go back and flick through the pages to read my favourite parts. This book includes a bunch of tropes that I really like including enemies to lovers and office romance. We follow the story of Lucy Hutton and Joshua Templeman. They work in the same office as assistants for two publishing executives. They hate each other from the beginning, and engage in a number of in-office games (I mean these are really just building the sexual tension) and are both vying for the same promotion. One of my favourite things about Lucy is that she is a very quirky character. She wears very bright, out there kinds of clothes and collects smurfs. Josh's character can be rather brooding, cocky and arrogant. What we learn through the story however is how caring and vulnerable he can be. Honestly I love everything about Josh. The banter that we get to see between Lucy and Josh is so enjoyable to read, as Josh says in the book 'The trick is to find the one person who can give it back as good as they can take it'. I honestly found myself reading faster to find out who won the little games they were playing. This book is told from Lucy's POV and I found her to be a really good narrator. I loved the extra little insights we got into what she was thinking. I do though kind of wish that we got a couple of chapters from Josh's POV. As the story progressed and Lucy and Josh started to get closer, I loved the vulnerability that they both showed within the relationship. This was done especially on Josh's side. We got to see the struggles that he was facing in his personal life and were able to see the way the Lucy dealt with this. 
Overall, I could not recommend this book enough! 

Definitely a 5 ⭐ read. I also just wanted to mention that this book is being adapted into a movie! Here's hoping they do it justice. 

Books Mentioned: 



Comments