Book Review: Heidi's Guide To Four Letter Words by Tara Sivec and Andi Arndt

 

'The women in these books, they take charge of their own lives and learn how to ask for what they want. It's so empowering'
Blurb:
Nothing good ever comes from drinking a box of wine alone. So when I decided to entertain my drunken self by setting up some hand-me-down podcasting equipment and reading the steamy parts from romance novels, I never thought anyone would actually listen. The fact that I admitted my huge crush on my sexy next door neighbour made the whole thing even more mortifying. But sometimes life surprises you, and that’s how my podcast, Heidi’s Discount Erotica, was born.

Now I, Heidi Larsen, a sweet former kindergarten teacher in Waconia, Minnesota, lead a scandalous double life reading erotic novels to the listening world. And with each episode, I find myself embracing my new alter ego more and more. Now I’m starting to feel more comfortable in my own skin and do things I never would have dreamed of - like kissing my neighbour.

Look out, Waconia, because Heidi’s on the loose! She’s in your ears, in your hearts, and down your pants...wait, that didn’t sound as good as it did in my head. Well, you get the picture, don’tcha know!  

Review: 
This book was honestly so much better than I was expecting. Heidi has been let go from her job as a teacher and the job that she finds herself in is as a receptionist at a studio where they record audio-books of erotic romances. Honestly to me this sounds like one of the best jobs in the world. For Heidi, she is the type of person who is really uncomfortable with anything that could be deemed 'sexy'. When Heidi comes to posses some old podcast equipment, what does she do one night other than start a podcast called Heidi's Discount Erotica (DoDoDo- read the book and you will get that reference). The podcasts that are recorded most of the time drunk, are honestly so funny to read. It is some serious laugh out loud material. Plus the excerpts from the erotica books that Heidi reads are hottt. As we follow along with Heidi's life and podcast episodes, we meet Brent- her super hot neighbour. The interactions between Heidi and Brent are laugh out loud funny! Heidi is just so awkward around Brent at the start that every meeting is like a new hilarious type of meet-cute. I don't want to spoilt it but many of my favourite parts of this book involve Heidi's parents- when you read it you will know. I also want to give a special shout out to the voice dictated text scene. Honestly almost did a spit take at this one. The relationship between Heidi and Brent I find to be really beautiful! I feel like they complement each other really well. I also feel like most women would be able to relate to Heidi in some way. Sometimes it can take a while to become completely comfortable in yourself and your own sexual power. 

Overall this book was a 4.5 ⭐ read for me! I have included one of my favourite quotes from this book below- this is one of my favourites because I am currently studying to become a high school teacher and often find myself thinking the same thing!👀👇
'But you're more better and good-lookinger! I quickly reassure him. Oh my God, I was a teacher!'

Books Mentioned: 

Heidi's Guide To Four Letter Words by Tara Sivec and Andi Arndt
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/51884582-heidi-s-guide-to-four-letter-words 

Comments