Let's Talk About Sex


Before I came across Bookstagram I will admit that I never spoke about the types of book that I liked to read. I feel like I didn't know any people with the same taste as me and it was an awkward topic to discuss. Here is my confession: I absolutely love books that have a high level of steam in them. That's not to say I don't also really enjoy closed door romances but the steamy ones are often my favourites. These are the types of books that, even knowing there are like minded people on Bookstagram, I don't usually post about or even really mention because I feel like many see these topics as bit a 'taboo'. They are the types of books that I feel like women can be judged for reading. To step out of my comfort zone a bit, I thought I would make a post that talks about some of my favourite steamy romances. I think a lot of these romances are often classified as 'erotic romance'. I honestly feel like its the label of 'erotic' that makes them a bit of a taboo topic to talk about. It's the type of word that can make people uncomfortable or immediately make you feel judged for enjoying these types of books. So, as my first step in making myself more comfortable recommending these perfectly acceptable books here are some of my recommendations. PLUS, I thought as something fun I would mention a bunch of my pet peeves about this genre of books!

The first series I wanted to talk about is probably one of the most popular 'erotic romance' series in the world. They are of course the Fifty Shades of Grey books. Despite the world wide popularity of these books, I feel like the way society in generally categorises these is what would make me never read them in public. Despite there being no reason to be embarrassed about reading these books, the genre of them makes them highly controversial. I have seen so many comments about these books glorifying abuse and being extremely inappropriate. For me, I really enjoyed these books and to be completely honest I read them when I was in grade 10 (so when I was 15). I also watched the movie when it came out in 2015. I really enjoyed these books and I still think Christian Grey is super sexy. I mean if I was in Anastasia's shoes I'd be like 'yes sir, tie me up!'. 

The next kind of category of books that I love to read are the 'reverse harem' romances or in general multiple partner romances. I think these are even more controversial than standard BDSM romances. My opinion on this is its not like it's real so calm down people, and to be honest if people did decide that they wanted to have relationships like this I say go for it. I mean the sex sounds like it is explosive so why not? One of my favourite authors of these types of romances is Vanessa Vale. Her books are mainly multiple partner romances as 'reverse harem' constitutes a relationship with one woman and three or more men. Vanessa's books usually contain one woman and two men. One of my favourite book series of hers is the Bridgewater County. You can find these books here. I loved each and every one of these books. The men are sexy, alpha males and the women and strong willed, head strong and stubborn. All of these aspects combine to make some super hot sex scenes. I mean you get a little flushed thinking about them. Another series of hers I would recommend is the Grade A Beef Cakes series you can find here

The next book series I would recommend is the Blindfold Club series by Nikki Sloan, which you can find here. These books are honestly just fucking HOT! My favourite from this series is definitely Three Hard Lessons, the sex between Payton and Dominic is just explosive and seriously intense. These books all have a variety of elements of BDSM and in general just include a huge amount of sex. For me, I really feel like the sex scenes develop the story and the relationships really well. They don't just have sex scenes for the sake of having them. 

Shayla Black's Wicked Lover's series is another series that has some great sex scenes, you can find it here. These are other stories where I feel like the super steamy sex scenes add depth to the romance story itself. The sex between the characters is so hot because they connect so well with one another. Not only do these books have some fantastic sex, but they also do have really engaging storylines. 

Another BDSM series that I loved was the Masters of the Shadowlands by Cerise Sinclair, you can find this here. This series revolves around the dominant masters of Club Shadowlands and the women that captivate them. I found that these books were super captivating and, of course, has some super hot sex scenes. I was looking forward to each sex scene as it was coming up because they were that explosive. 

My final recommendation is an author who really knows how to write super hot sex scenes, Renee Rose. I have read a number of her book series, all of which have some AMAZING sex scenes in them. Not only do they have good sex scenes, they have a lot of sex scenes. One of my favourite series of hers is the Vegas Underground series that you can find here. I also really loved her Zandian Masters and Zandian Brides series. I mean what more could you want than hot, alien sex? 

Now, I thought I would mention a couple of my pet peeves when it comes to sex scenes in books. Firstly, what the fuck is with some of the names that they come up with for vagina and penis? I mean I'm all for 'pussy' and 'cock' because let's face it, vagina and penis just sound super clinical. However, that does not mean I want to read about someone's 'lady garden' *gag*. That has got to be the least sexy thing I have read in my entire life. To be honest when I first read a book that called it that I did a double take. Next one I hate, any type of comparison to a flower. No, thanks. Any mention of 'petals' and I'm out. Some other shockers include 'love button' or 'pleasure pearl', I mean really? Now, as for the male anatomy. I NEVER want to read about any kind of 'meat'. I mean, please just stop. I also don't want to read about any kind of weaponry such as spears or swords. That sounds dangerous, not sexy. I also seriously don't want to read about anyone's 'throbbing member' *ew*. As for other phrases that seem to appear frequently: nothing should ever be 'impaled'. That just sounds painful, it's right up there with anything hitting anyone's cervix. I mean ouch. All of these terms just really make me think of 10 Things I Hate About You (if you know, you know). 

Can you think of any seriously un-sexy sex terms? Let me know in the comments! Plus, feel free to recommend me any super sexy reads that you enjoyed. 

Happy Reading, 
Jess xx 

Comments